Even though your child’s baby teeth are temporary, they play a vital role in your child’s smile, oral health and development. As such, they should receive proper care both to prevent problems from developing and to effectively treat damage caused when problems do occur. If the damage is too extensive to be repaired with a filling, our pediatric dentists may recommend a stainless-steel dental crown.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns, or caps, are a type of restoration designed to fit over a damaged tooth. They are custom-made to fit teeth perfectly and cover the entire visible portion of the treated tooth to restore its strength and protect it from any further damage. While crowns may be made of several different types of materials, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends stainless-steel crowns as the treatment for children who have extensive tooth decay or who have received a pulpotomy.
Most pediatric dental crowns can be placed in just one or two appointments. Dr. Derrick Cantu or Dr. Christi Wengler will evaluate your child’s teeth and mouth and provide you with an outline of what you can expect when your child receives their crown.
Benefits of Stainless-Steel Dental Crowns?
Stainless-steel crowns offer many advantages for children, including:
- A more cost-effective treatment option
- Complete protection for the treated tooth
- Little to no tooth sensitivity following treatment
- Reduced chances of a retreatment being needed
- Greater success than fillings in children under age 4
- An easier treatment for children who need general anesthesia
- A highly effective space maintainer (stainless-steel crowns are often used as attachments for space maintainers)
Schedule An Appointment
We invite you to call Pediatric Dentistry of San Antonio at 210-680-7841 to make an appointment for your child and learn more about stainless-steel dental crowns in San Antonio, Texas.